Monday, August 10, 2009

Three days of Catch-Up-Blogging

It couldn't possibly rain two days in a row. Could it?

A view from 'sunny' Andorra.


Saturday's rain was much more bearable. Once again, the morning was perfect, but the early afternoon saw showers. Or Le Douche as they call a shower (the actual shower, not the weather) here in France. I know, right? I'll wait for you to stop giggling.

Ahem.

Like I said, as compared to Friday's downpour, this was the type of rain you could still ride in. So, not much more need to be said.

Instead, I want to talk GPS for moment. Do you recall when I was weighing the pros and cons of even buying one? I mentioned that it would be funny if I didn't get one, and then you found out I got lost in rural France, Deliverance-style. Well, define irony for me. Because as I rode along today, I thought to myself 'you know, it's only because of the GPS that I am in the middle of nowhere in rural France.' Now, don't go getting ahead of yourselves, chuckling smugly and whatnot. I wasn't lost... this time. But I was thinking to myself how interesting it was that without the GPS I would probably just be playing it safe on the French motorways, not seeing nearly as much of the countryside. And I wouldn't be. Because without the GPS as my crutch, I would stick to the motorways just to insure I had less chance of getting lost.



Instead, because I have trusty old Garmin at my side, I just tell it to avoid Toll Roads (because the National French motorways do charge a toll, and this trip would be a lot more pricey if I was using them) and it sends me off on a quaint little journey. But I have to say, some of the roads it's chosen... it's not that they aren't good - they're actually quite great - but when you're on a little back road that doesn't seem wide enough for one car, let alone the fact that it's technically a 2-way street, it just boggles the mind that the Sat Nav even knows that it exists, let alone that it's plotted it as part of my route. I know I never would have found these roads in a million years, and even if I had, without the reassuring arrow on the GPS, I'd probably never turn down them.



So, part of me still feels emasculated, as if doing anything besides navigating by the stars is not true travel. But the other part of me not only praises the GPS for it's ability to get me un-lost, but also because without it I wouldn't be experiencing half the routes that I am. And that would be a true shame.
Ten more points up for grabs, name the flick (this one's easy...): 'Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in France?'

4 comments:

  1. The movie is Pulp Fiction. I kickass at winning Travis's great European trivia game. That will be another 10 points for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, considering that was one of the easiest movie trivia ever, i'm sure everyone would have got that one (even me), but since Nat apparently does nothing but play on the internet all day while he's at work, he once again beat everyone to the punch....DO SOME WORK DAMMIT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dude,

    Hope you see this post but

    2009/2010 Registration will be on September 1, 2009 @ 7:00 PM

    League Fees will be emailed to all teams.

    ReplyDelete