Friday, July 3, 2009

The great GPS debate

GPS (or Global Positioning System for those of you born in a barn) is awesome. There's no question about it. I'm not claiming otherwise or debating the issue. But I have been struggling with whether or not I should bother with one. I'm sure this post is deliciously ironic if you're re-reading it a month from now having just discovered that I got lost in the back woods in the deep south of France and was made to squeal like a pig by some insane French hillbillies, all because I chose not to buy a GPS. Wait... does France have hillbillies? I might be confusing France with Deliverance. Damn, that movie was messed up.

So here's the thing: although GPS is undeniably awesome, is it $300 awesome? Sure, GPS would be nice, but I'll bet $300 can also get you a pretty nice prostitute in Amsterdam. Err... I mean... a really nice... dammit, what else is Amsterdam known for? No, besides that... I need something I can still talk about in a blog that my parent's are reading. Windmills? Can you get a nice windmill for $300? Wooden shoes? Why didn't I just use Belgium in this analogy? Ahem. As I was saying, I'm sure $300 would go a long way in nice, family-friendly Belgium.

I guess the thing that's really keeping GPS in the back of my mind - besides the possibility of being 100km away from my hostel when the sun has already set an hour prior - is that it would probably do a pretty sweet job of spicing up the old blog along the way. I mean, adding the track log to not only show you where I traveled, but also the changes in elevation, as well as my average and maximum speed along the way would be pretty slick. Not just for all you Traviologists following along at home, but even as a sweet in-depth record of the trip for my own sake. I mean, it's not every day that I spend 5 weeks motorcycling around Europe, so in that regard, is $300 worth it for an awesome record of this trip? Yes, yes it is.

B-ah, I'm just going in circles here. I want it... I don't want it... just make up your damn mind, woman. Ok, I want it. Yes... I'm sure I do.

I think.

(I'm open to suggestions and recommendations and discussions on the matter... you know where to find the comments section, right?)

4 comments:

  1. A GPS could see use after the Europe trip as well, it's not $300 for just 5 weeks. Might make a great addition to...oh I don't know, a Sequel to Short Way 'Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a good point. The thing is, in terms of the data that I get off of it, there's not a whole lot that I couldn't just do myself with a Google Map and Photoshop. So is $300 worth it because I'm lazy? You of all people should understand the appeal of saving money when you can do something yourself for free. And in terms of the enroute directions, I must say, there's something romantic about the idea of not having the crutch of GPS to fall back on. You know, like getting lost once or twice might be kind of fun (looking back, probably not at the time...) and maybe make for a good story or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm just image riding your carefully chosen bike across the mountains in Germany but rather than taking the trip/ride in you are too busy paying attention to the damn GPS. Men have more iron in their noses for a REASON!!!! prove all us women wrong (or right for that matter) and use your instincts to guide the way or somehow get yourself really really lost. I say no GPS instincts are the key ..(to a really funny trip if you get lost...hmmm did I really write that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the thing is, as a male, and virile one at that, I am physically incapable of stopping to ask for directions. Not that I could understand any directions given by ze Germans anyways. But with a GPS I could save face, and return to Canada after five weeks, you know... alive.

    ReplyDelete